Breakout Novel Intensive 2.0
SEPTEMBER 17 - 23, 2018
Join author/literary agent
Donald Maass for a one-of-a-kind learning experience!
Are you ready to take your writing to the next level?
Would you like to spend a challenging, inspiring week learning from a master of fiction craft and other industry pros?
Are you ready for professionals to provide you with one-on-one feedback on your writing?
Do you want to create memorable, stirring stories that create passionate, lifelong readers?
Whether you're interested in traditional or independent publishing success, this workshop is for you!
For sixteen years, Donald Maass and Free Expressions Seminars have partnered in offering one of the industry's most acclaimed writing workshops.
Included are new or revised units on story discovery, strong voice, standout characters, the inner journey, compelling story worlds, beautiful writing, creating resonance and finding meaning in both story and process.
Breakout fundamentals are also covered: strong characters, inner conflict, personal stakes, plot layers, powerful scenes, micro-tension, practical theme techniques and much more.
Writers of commercial fiction who wish to soar out of category, as well as literary novelists who want to learn how to make powerful story principles work for them, will find the Breakout Novel Intensive 2.0 an idea-packed and career enriching experience.
This workshop is as ideal for those just beginning a new project as it is for those embarking on a revision of a completed work. While writers at all level of craft are welcome, we assume a basic understanding of fiction craft.
“Expect to work harder than you have ever worked but to come away with a novel that is bigger and more powerful than you ever imagined you could write.”
-- Donald Maass
Further staff, TBA
SEE WHAT FORMER STUDENTS HAVE TO SAY
- Morning classes with Donald Maass, geared toward building students' specific projects using concepts covered in his popular, Writing the Breakout Novel, Writing 21st Century Fiction, and The Emotional Craft of Fiction.
- Private room and bath, plus ALL meals from workshop start to finish, beginning with dinner on Monday and ending with breakfast on Sunday.
- A private thirty-minute consultation with Donald Maass, who reads fifty pages of each student's manuscript and other supporting material.
- Private consultations with editors/authors Lorin Oberweger, Brenda Windberg and other industry pros.
- Customized instruction geared toward students' specific writing needs and questions.
- A special session on micro-tension and other evening offerings.
- Access to private writing resource section on Free Expressions website.
- Invitation to attend the *exclusive* BONI Graduate Learning Retreat.
In order to ensure an intimate and productive environment for our students, enrollment is strictly limited to forty writers. Participation is on a first-come, first-serve basis, so please register early.
HOOD RIVER, OREGON
The March Breakout Novel Intensive (BONI) is being held at the BEST WESTERN PLUS Hood River Inn in Hood River, Oregon. The hotel is located on the Columbia River shoreline, offering lodging with scenic river views, water access, and a private beach.
Convenient to nearby attractions and recreation in the Columbia River Gorge and Mt. Hood area, the Hood River Inn is an easy one-hour drive from Portland along scenic Interstate-84.
Shuttles and rental cars are available from the Portland International Airport.
1108 East Marina Way
Hood River, OR 97031
The September Breakout Novel Intensive (BONI) is being held at the Doubletree Suites by Hilton in Tampa, Florida. It is ideally located in Rocky Point, close to the airport with views of the bay on all sides.
Close to beaches, shopping, dining and entertainment, this all-suite Tampa Bay hotel offers a waterfront location near the Tampa Westshore area.
3050 N. Rocky Point Dr. West
Tampa, FL 33607-5800
New Student Registration Cost: $2395
Returning Student Registration Cost: $2295
Workshop cost includes private room and bath, all meals (from dinner on Monday-breakfast on Sunday for a total of six breakfasts, five lunches, six dinners), plus workshop materials. (Accommodations for special dietary needs are available. Instructions for requests will be sent after registration.)
Payment plans may be available. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
* IMPORTANT * HOOD RIVER ONLY: Because of costs from the hotel, a room with a view of the Columbia River will cost an additional $200, which you will find as an add-on option on the registration page.
The Breakout Novel Intensive has a limited number of seats and sells out quickly.
Don't be disappointed, register today!
After registration, email will be sent to to all students including instructions for submissions (synopsis, manuscript pages) to be reviewed by Don and staff prior to the workshop. There will also be additional information on one-on-one schedules, private meetings, and venue information.
Many students find reading Don’s book, Writing the Breakout Novel, prior to the workshop helpful to familiarize themselves with the concepts and for greater retention and application.
For more information, please call 813–391–8980 or write to Lorin Oberweger, Program Director at email@example.com.